University Advancement Services (UA Services) combines gift processing activities, records management, biographic record updates, and gift accounting into one comprehensive operation within University Advancement. The University Advancement Services team provides concierge services to our community and our donors.
Calendar Year End 2023 Gift Processing
High-Touch Gift Watch List
In December 2020 we introduced high-touch gift “watch list” that was extremely successful. This kept us informed of our high touch donors and their expected gift transactions in advance of receiving them and allowed us to provide premium customer services with immediate feedback to our Advancement community partners. High-touch gifts that we want to watch for generally meet the following criteria:
- Gifts of any type in the amount of $100,000 or above
- Gifts of stock (any amount)
- Wire transfer (any amount)
Help us track your gifts and ensure high accuracy by completing the "Watch List" form. Please consider letting us know now what you're expecting and any special handling you'll need from UA Services. This form will be available until noon on January 5, 2024.
Ways to Give Reminder
- Now is the time to remind your donors of the various ways to give to UVA. This information is available in this Ways to Give Reference Sheet. All gift remittances should be mailed directly to our P.O. Box in Boone, Iowa for expedient processing.
- It is important that you check your mailboxes and desks for any checks or gift documents received from donors by mail. For occupants of Old Ivy Building, all mail sent to OIB will be opened and remitted by our onsite staff. If you receive a check onsite, please use the supplied business reply envelopes (BREs) to forward checks and gift source to Boone, Iowa.
Calendar Year End Processing Schedule
- Please view this gift processing calendar regarding banked days, processing deadlines, and holiday closures.
- UA Services will be available to assist you and our donors during normal operating hours. Please note that we will be closed on December 25th and January 1st to observe the holidays.
- If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call University Advancement Services at 434-924-7018.
Biographic Record Updates
- Coordinates with Digital & Technology team for semi-automated biographic record updates
- Coordinates with Digital & Technology team for NCOA address updates
- Performs received biographic record updates
- Create Gift Accounting Fundraising Reports
- Process all requests for new allocation creation (except: AA/UVa Fund, McIntire, and Batten) in Advance Web
- Monthly reconciliation of all R&V gifts in Advance vs. cash received in the financial system (Oracle)
- Reconciliation of giving data feeds from Law and Athletics
- Daily reconciliation and depositing of previous day's cash gifts received at UAS *As of July 1, 2020
- Reconciliation of bank and brokerage accounts *As of July 1, 2020
- Deposit transfer checks from foundations
- Record private grants into Advance Web
- Generate monthly Giving Reports on annual fundraising progress
- Provide expertise on gift policy and acceptance rules and guidelines
- Determine and reconcile the Strategic Investment Fund (SIF) match amounts for the ongoing donor matching fund initiatives, including Bicentennial Scholarships, Fellowships, and Professorships
- Continual reviews of giving data to ensure accuracy and completeness of donor records
- Gift processing
- Pledges, pledge payments, pledge reminders
- Planned gifts
- Gift receipting
- Cryptocurrency guidance (contact Mike May)
- Maintains records related to UVA donors and prospects and is the official record keeper of prospect research and other relevant records not maintained in Advance. These records are sometimes referred to by our colleagues as the “central files.” It's to our benefit to keep key documents that inform our work, yet it's critical to not save everything. Learn more: Advancement Records Management
July 1, 2020, University Advancement transitioned to a hybrid gift processing model which incorporates automation to improve customer service, accuracy, and the donor experience at a significantly reduced cost. UVA receives approximately 100,000 gifts each year. Around 50 percent are received online and paid with a credit card, and the other half originate through direct marketing efforts via pledge card reply devices returned to UVA through the U.S. Postal service.
University Advancement Operations has contracted with CDS Global, a Hearst Company, to maximize offline gift processing. CDS Global processes all mailed gifts (checks and credit cards); open, sort, scan, image, and deposit. CDS processes daily, sending the export files of gifts and biographical updates to University Advancement Services (UAS) to load into Advance. CDS also sends all originals of gift agreements, planned gifts, correspondence, and anything they cannot process as gifts to UA Services.
University Advancement Services processes all online gifts, pledges, matching gifts, stock gifts, and other gift or tender types that are not processed by CDS Global. All mailed gifts (checks and credit cards) received at the school or unit must be immediately sent to the P.O. Box address in Boone, Iowa. University Advancement will no longer accept walk-in gifts as these delay processing and donor acknowledgement by a minimum of three days. For questions or special handling regarding high-touch gifts, contact UA Services.
All offline gifts should be sent via USPS: FedEx Deliveries should be sent to:
University of Virginia (or Foundation Name) CDS Global
PO Box 37963 2005 Lakewood Drive
Boone, Iowa 50037 Boone, Iowa 50036
Bank of America Credit to: University of Virginia - Advancement Operations Account
1001 Emmet St. N, Charlottesville, VA 22903-4833
ABA #: 026009593 (Wire)
ABA #: 051000017 (ACH/EFT)
Account #: 435029074310
Full giving options shown on the Ways to Give page.
To utilize CDS’ automated gift processing services school and units will need to update their reply devices for all direct mail sent. Please refer to the CDS Packing and Processing Requirements (PPR) document for processing enhancement details including scanlines, registration marks, and clearance requirements and share with your print house and designers. An example can be found on the Hub here. Reply device job aids and InDesign files can be found as Direct Mail Marketing in the Learning Library.
Optical Character Recognition, or OCR, is a technology that enables you to convert different types of documents, such as scanned paper documents, PDF files or images captured by a digital camera into editable and searchable data. UVA’s scanline technology will include 29 distinct characters outlined below:
UVA Scanline layout:
- Position 1-3 UVA
- Position 4-13 Donor ID (10-characters)
- Married donors will automatically receive joint credit; preference to choose the alum for Donor ID
- Position 14-23 Appeal Code (10-characters)
- UAS will provide appeal code – request through UAS Helpdesk or Advancement Hub
- Position 24-28 Default Allocation Code (5-characters)
- If donor does not select an allocation on the reply device, the default allocation code will be used
- Position 29 Check Digit Code (CDS provided if using CDS print services)
- If not CDS, print house vendor can provide based on CDS algorithm
Other design elements for enhancing reply devices outlined in CDS PPR document:
- Remove CVV from all reply device credit card fields.
- All scanlines and allocation codes printed on the reply device must to be in OCR-A 10pt font
- Include registration marks (L-brackets, placed on a document to help imaging equipment capture data)
- All pre-printed reply envelopes (BREs and others) must include the PO Box address in Boone, IA.
- You may add your school or unit to the address block (example above).
To ensure your school/unit's reply device is ready for CDS processing, Kim Shook at CDS Global is available to review your art files.
Reply Envelope Addresses
BRE (business reply envelope/postage paid): CRE (courtesy reply envelope stamp affixed):
University of Virginia (or Foundation Name) University of Virginia (or Foundation Name)
PO Box 37963 PO Box 37963
Boone, Iowa 50037-4963 Boone, Iowa 50037-0963
- For questions on gift processing contact: Advancement Services Help Desk
- For urgent gift processing questions contact UA Services at 434-924-7018
- For data support contact: Business Intelligence and Analytics: Astrid Henriksen
- To have your reply device reviewed by CDS, contact Kim Shook (copy Judie Wilson)
- For resources on preparing your data and reply device visit the Direct Mail Marketing section of the Learning Library
Guidelines, Forms, and FAQs
- Cryptocurrency Qualified Appraisers
- UVA Payee Names
- CDS Packing and Processing Requirements (PPR) document
- CDS Sample UVA Reply Device for Solicitation
- Change in Joint Credit Policy
- Employee Donor Statement
- *NEW* UA Services Authorization Electronic Gift Payments
- *NEW* UA Services Deed of Gift Template
- *NEW* UA Services Mail Check Form
- *NEW* UA Services Securities Gift Transfer Instructions
- *NEW* UA Services Wire Transfer Instructions
- *NEW* UA Services Gift Transmittal Form - Individuals
- *NEW* UA Services Gift Transmittal Form - Donor Advised Fund / Foundation
- *NEW* UA Services Gift Transmittal Form - Gift with Premium (QPQ)
- *NEW* UA Services Gift Transmittal Form - Matching Gift
- UVA Gift Policies Manual
- Campaign Gift Crediting Guidelines
- Advancement Records Management
- Processing Gifts in Kind
- EXT-006: Solicitation and Acceptance of Gifts of Real Property, Life Insurance, Personal Property, and Fine Arts
- EXT-007: Acceptance of Bequests and University Life Income Plans
- EXT-008: Acceptance, Receipt, and Acknowledgement of Gifts
- EXT-009: Establishment of Funds from Gifts
- EXT-010: Employee Charitable Contributions to the University
- FIN-001: Distinguishing Between a Gift or a Sponsored Program
- FIN-015: Endowment and Capital Gift Agreements
- FIN-018: Gifts of Securities